Grief Support Groups For Siblings
“When you close your eyes and remember, don’t forget that your sibling rests yet in you, in your heart and in your thoughts, in everything you do. They will never leave you alone. You have a listener at your beck and call. What a gift!” ~ from a Sibling.
When a child has died, siblings are often referred to as “the forgotten mourners.” While parents usually receive most of the support of relatives and friends, siblings generally receive little—often being asked “How are your parents doing?” The Compassionate Friends is an organization that is not just for bereaved parents. It’s also for Grief Support Groups For Siblings and Grandparents. Some chapters have sibling subgroups (which welcome siblings age 14 and up) while adult siblings are welcome at all TCF chapter meetings. Contact your local chapter to find out their policies on siblings attending meetings.
Also, we invite you to contact our National Office at 877-969-0010 and request a customized bereavement packet assembled just for you. There is no charge. We will also be happy to give you a referral to your nearest TCF chapter so you can attend when you feel ready.
Here on The Compassionate Friends national website, you will find support in a number of different ways.
1) Compassionate Friends Online Support (live chats) allows you to talk with other bereaved siblings from across the country during the Online Support Community sessions held every week. These sessions are limited in number of participants and have trained monitors who are also siblings.
2) Recommended sibling materials are offered through TCF Exclusives.
4) All TCF National Conferences and many regional conferences offer workshops and other activities specifically geared for bereaved siblings.
TCF National Conference
5) Compassionate Friends We Need Not Walk Alone Magazine, the national magazine of The Compassionate Friends includes stories for siblings as well as the popular sibling column “Ask Dr. Heidi.” You can now receive a free online subscription to this magazine by clicking on “Sign Up For National Publications” at the top of this page.
6) our Local Tampa Bay Chapter of compassionate Friends held on the first thursday of each month.
7) You’ll notice links throughout the website to our Facebook Page. We hope you will join and thus have the opportunity to interact with other siblings, as well as parents and grandparents who “get” what you’re going through.